EDU: Public Schools (Was: Re: [extropy-chat] Gametheoryofcommoncold)

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Thu Jan 22 10:27:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:18:24 -0500
"Harvey Newstrom" <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:

> Samantha Atkins wrote,
> > I draw a large distinction between voluntary charity and
> > involuntary charity imposed by a government.  I believe very
> > much in giving back in whatever form it takes (and am known
> > for generositiy in that regard fwiw) but I do not believe and
> > never will believe in forced taking and giving to others.
> > Please do not give in to the temptation to slam libertarians
> > just because you do not happen to be one.  There is in fact
> > VERY ample reason not to trust government and this government
> > in particular that hasn't a damn thing to do with "self-pity"
> > or "victim mentality".  I am quite dismayed that you would
> > jump into this mode of ranting so easily.   I am also
> > dismayed by a seeming unwillingness to grant that there are
> > is a whole spectrum of attitudes and practice out there
> > between you and your "bitter old Libertarian".
>
> Wow, this conversation has suddenly turned 180 degrees when I blinked!  I
> certainly do not trust the government, nor do I intend to slam Libertarians.
> I was defending my position of doing charity work against those who said
> charity through government programs was evil.  I also was explaining that
> charity work could be good to counter those who claim all charity work is
> self-serving selfishness.  I was trying to defend myself for doing charity
> work, not attack anyone else for not doing charity work.

I believe you if you say you were not trying to attack others, although in fact you did.  It is awfully easy to fall into, isn't it?   Charity that is forced *is* evil.  Do we agree on that much?  I very much agree that not all charity is self-serving selfishness (if I speak that language which usually I don't).

-s