EDU: Public Schools (Was: Re: [extropy-chat] Gametheoryofcommoncold)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 16:54:56 UTC 2004

--- Samantha Atkins <samantha at objectent.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:18:24 -0500
> "Harvey Newstrom" <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> >
> > Wow, this conversation has suddenly turned 180 degrees when I
> blinked!  I
> > certainly do not trust the government, nor do I intend to slam
> Libertarians.
> > I was defending my position of doing charity work against those who
> said
> > charity through government programs was evil.  I also was
> explaining that
> > charity work could be good to counter those who claim all charity
> work is
> > self-serving selfishness.  I was trying to defend myself for doing
> charity
> > work, not attack anyone else for not doing charity work.
> >

> I believe you if you say you were not trying to attack others,
> although in fact you did.  It is awfully easy to fall into, isn't it?
>   Charity that is forced *is* evil.  Do we agree on that much?  I
> very much agree that not all charity is self-serving selfishness (if
> I speak that language which usually I don't).

surpisingly, I am very much in agreement with Samantha. Harvey is
making a logical fallacy in claiming that his *entirely private*
charity work makes forced charity through government programs "not
evil". How he makes such a logical leap is beyond me...

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey