[extropy-chat] About SPAM again

Major extropy at audry2.com
Fri Jan 23 02:57:11 UTC 2004

"Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com> writes:

> Microsoft (and others?) have a proposal (the Penny Black project) out that
> would force unsolicited incoming emails to consume something like 10 seconds
> of CPU time on the sender CPU before they are accepted.  I think this might
> be problematic for managers of large mailing lists.

Only if they were seen as "unsolicited". Mailing list managers would
have to make putting their "from" address into your whitelist would be
a condition of joining the list. I would expect majordomo and the like
to be modified so that they would check this at subscribe time and
only add you to the list once they were able to send you mail "for
free" (without paying the 10 seconds).

I didn't know this was Microsoft's. If it is we should look carefully
at the detail to make sure they aren't up to something, but if they
are not this may be the first really *good* thing the evil empire has
done.

Major