[extropy-chat] About SPAM again

Paul Grant paulgrant999 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 06:06:57 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Robert J.
Bradbury
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 5:56 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] About SPAM again

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Emlyn O'regan wrote:

> The cost to spammers of spamming plus the cost of following up leads
> as a result is less than the revenue they ultimately get from
> sales/scam.

Microsoft (and others?) have a proposal (the Penny Black project) out
that would force unsolicited incoming emails to consume something like
10 seconds of CPU time on the sender CPU before they are accepted.  I
think this might be problematic for managers of large mailing lists.

See: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/12/26/1350207&mode=thread

---

What would be the point; spammers would just buy faster processors (in
case of computationally intensive "tokens");
either that, or forge the headers (in case of honor-bound, I waited ten
seconds).  I'ld rather have the FBI post the current whereabouts of the
people profitting off the unsolicited spam.  A couple of nice
flamethrower-style deaths later, problem solved.  And no, I'm not
joking.

omard-out