[extropy-chat] PRECOG: The Smoking Gun is found..

Rob KPO trichrom at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jan 29 11:23:11 UTC 2004

The USA displayed a learning in Korea that military pre-emption is required
in the real world when their is armed conflict. It is obviously a difficult
decision politically and people unlearned in military history can easily
interpret it as negative, bad, evil etc.

That learning was proved with the subsequant Chinese reinforcement on the
Korean peninsula. Vietnam was another example of pre-emptive action, or to
put it another way, pre-deployement of forces against a larger nearby
threat. Luckily in Vietnam the Chinese did not engage the US forces by
invading Vietnam.

The Middle East situation is different in context but I think it is fair to
say the US military is acting predictably in the best interest's of dealing
with the nature of this hostile threat. It isnt Chinese expansion this time
but militant radical Islam and any state's or organisation's supporting it.

The UN is easily rendered powerless in times of largish war. This was
highlited with the French and Russian's (who seemingly had reasons to
protect Saddam's Iraq) taking advantage of the UN's 'democratic' processes
to sieze up the capability it would otherwise have had to attempt a
bloodless action in Iraq. The world had a chance to stand together and tell
the people of Iraq "time to join the rest of the world" instead they ended
up again trading the security of the world and the USA for their own selfish
commerce and vision's of grandeur.

Rob O