[extropy-chat] EDU: Georgia and Evolution

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 30 20:18:13 UTC 2004

There are plenty of fossils here in the US.

Here in NH we have a site in Merrimack that was inhabited off and on
going back 9500 years. Other sites in the Americas go back even
farther. Mammoth hunting sites are common. The primary lacking here is
significant limestone caves that have records of habitation.

The US also has some of the best dinosaur fossils. I believe all of the
significant T-Rex finds came from the US, so much so that T-Rex hunting
is a significant industry in some areas of the western US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/30/education/30GEOR.html?pagewanted=print

> > I have been giving a little help to a 16 y/o highschool student
> here in
> > France for his biology course. I was delighted to discover what
> they are
> > studying. A strong stress on Man, seen as a natural product of
> > evolution; emotions as caused by processes in the nervous system;
> > genetic engineering shown in a positive light.
> >
> > Think of this: What kind of education did the political guys now in
> > control receive ? A very different one. Probably no connection
> > whatsoever between Man and evolution. What will happen when the
> kids
> > raised on this get in control? Transhumanism is likely to seem
> rather
> > obvious for people educated that way in highschool.
> >
> > 3 main topics for this year:
> >
> > 1) Nervous comunication
> >
> > - Fundamental aspects of nervous communication [with nociception as
> > particular case]
> > - The action of chemicals on the nervous system
> [enkephalins/morphine,
> etc.]
> >
> > 2) From genotype to phenotype
> >
> > - The relationship betwen DNA and proteins
> > - Complexity of the relationship between genes, phenotypes and
> environment
> >
> > 3) The position of Man within evolution
> >
> > - Looking for the common ancestor
> > - The emergence of the humand kind
> >
> > And that's for the whole country. The content is pretty technical
> for
> > that age, and he's not even in a scientific path. Hopeful stuff, I
> say.
> >
> > Jacques
> >
> > PS: Happy birthday to Max! I hope you become more present again in
> the
> > movement you initiated in a near future. You are a great
> inspiration for
> > many.

=====
Mike Lorrey