[extropy-chat] Redneck Transhumanists

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 2 05:49:42 UTC 2004

> Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc.

> I use outdated computer systems and brag that its an advantage because
> some viruses are not targeted to work old systems...
>
> Morris

Is this true?  If so, you have stumbled upon a most
wonderful business opportunity.  Since email uses soooo
very little CPU, one could produce machines that are
designed to do nothing but email, using some ancient
primitive savage processor, such as a 386 or a
quadra.  Perhaps there are chip fabs still around
to make old processors?  Many of us could dedicate
an old machine to email, then use our other machines
for compuationally intensive apps.  I still have a
Mac quadra running in the office, for some specialty
applications that run only on that machine.

Recall that for pulling a boat or trailer, something
that one does only on rare occasions, a mid-70s vintage
station wagon is still about your best choice, considering
overall cost.  I don't see why old tech processors
wouldn't be analogous for the email, the application that
is still the most common use of computational machinery.