[extropy-chat] Redneck Transhumanists

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jul 2 17:26:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 12:39:49PM -0400, Gregory Propf wrote:

> There's a free firewall you can get if you have an old PC to spare just
> for that.  It's called IPCop and it uses a modified version of Linux.  I
> used it myself before I got a Linksys router which does much the same

If you have a Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS, I recommend you download and install
alternative firmware from Sveasoft. The public version (Satori 4.0) is free,
whereas Alchemy, the bleeding edge/supported branch, is reserved for subscribers ($20/year).

> task but with much lower power usage.  A firewall won't prevent mail
> based viruses though.  For that I would suggest ditching the M$ mail

Ditching Outlook and Internet Explorer (Office for Homeland Securitate now
officially recommends you to pick up Mozilla/Firefox, so does CERT) as well as getting a
decent virus scanner should be your next step.

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/07/02/1441242.shtml?tid=103&tid=113&tid=126&tid=172&tid=95&tid=99