[extropy-chat] Redneck Transhumanists

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 20:12:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:39:49 -0400, Gregory Propf <gpropf1 at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> There's a free firewall you can get if you have an old PC to spare just
> for that.  It's called IPCop and it uses a modified version of Linux.  I
> used it myself before I got a Linksys router which does much the same
> task but with much lower power usage.  A firewall won't prevent mail
> based viruses though.  For that I would suggest ditching the M$ mail
> programs and going with Mozilla. IPCop is at
> http://www.ipcop.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/IPCop/WebHome

I use the free Coyote Linux Floppy Firewall myself.
<http://www.coyotelinux.com/products.php?Product=coyote>
It boots off a single floppy disk, so your old 486 doesn't even need
to have a hard disk or cd drive.
Handy when your old hard disk finally fails, you can still use your
old pc  as a firewall.  :)

BillK