[extropy-chat] Surgeon General reports: Travel to Saturn's rings might cause cancer

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jul 3 21:48:38 UTC 2004

During the ring plane crossing, the radio and plasma wave science
instrument on Cassini measured little puffs of plasma produced by dust
impacts. While crossing the plane of Saturn's rings, the instrument
detected up to 680 dust hits per second. "The particles are comparable in
size to particles in cigarette smoke," said Dr. Don Gurnett of the
University of Iowa, Iowa City, principal investigator for the instrument.
"When we crossed the ring plane, we had roughly 100,000 total dust hits to
the spacecraft in less than five minutes. We converted these into audible
sounds that resemble hail hitting a tin roof."

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2004-171