[extropy-chat] Google Sets

Chris Phoenix cphoenix at CRNano.org
Wed Jul 7 20:09:40 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Did it, done it, multiple times. Used names of FSP leaders, my own
> name, and other libertarian organizations. Seems that Google Sets is
> trying to will the FSP out of existence.... perhaps a programmer bias?
>
> --- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

>>> You have to give it multiple items.  Just entering
>>> "Adrian Tymes", for instance, gives a couple telecom
>>> researchers I've never heard of before, so a useless
>>> "set".

I just tried various names associated with molecular manufacturing.  I
was unable to find any combination of three names that would return a
non-empty set.

I just tried "Dick Cheney", "Paul Wolfowitz", and "George Bush".  I got
back a small and uninteresting set:
   Dick Cheney
   George Bush
   Al Gore

I don't think it's a matter of giving it multiple items.  Giving it the
original three names one at a time: Eugen Leitl, Eliezer Yudkowsky,
Anders Sandberg: it gives long and overlapping lists for Eugen and
Anders, and a rather shorter list for Eliezer.

Interestingly, "Chris Phoenix" alone returns the empty set, but I
influenced Eric Drexler's set. "Eric Drexler" alone returns:
   Eric Drexler
   Marvin Minsky
   William H Calvin

"Chris Phoenix" and "Eric Drexler" returns the same list with one
notable difference:
   Eric Drexler
   Cog the humanoid robot
   William H Calvin
   Marvin Minsky

Chris

--
Chris Phoenix                                  cphoenix at CRNano.org
Director of Research