[extropy-chat] Google Sets

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 19:10:46 UTC 2004

--- "paul.bridger" <paul.bridger at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> >>2) Traffic is not what Google cares about. If you get 100k hits a
> >>month from people involved with your organization, then you are
> still
> >>a null value to Google's PageRank algorithm.
>
> Google *does* care about popularity. My guess is popularity is
> measured not
> just via PageRank, but probably also influenced by google referrals.
>
> >>Occam's Razor suggests that this is a more
> >>reasonable explanation that a conspiracy.
> > incompetence before conspiracy?
>
> I think conspiracy is a fairly interesting claim, and you'd need
> fairly interesting evidence to make it convincing.

Ah, but if you can create an open and shut case, then the rule of a
conspiracy being secret has been violated, qed.

A conspiracy is entirely capable of being incompetent at the same time
(I'd say this is typically the default case).

http://labs.google.com/sets?hl=en&q1=free+state+project&q2=libertarianism&q3=&q4=&q5=&btn=Large+Set

http://labs.google.com/sets?hl=en&q1=&q2=libertarianism&q3=&q4=&q5=&btn=Large+Set

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=link%3Awww.extropy.org&btnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=link%3Awww.freestateproject.org&btnG=Search
> 980 links

Ah, this is an interesting point, which I'll be taking up with the FSP
marketing people. I will say that crosslinking is generally a
cumulative process: the longer you are in operation, the more
crosslinks you should develop. Comparing ExI, an organization a couple
decades old, with the FSP, which has been in existence for not even
three years, should demonstrate that the FSP has nearly doubled the
crosslinks of ExI in 15% of the time.

> I don't know how google sets works, but if I had google's database,
> I'd consider two pages to be related if they were both linked to by
> another page.

So would I. I happen to know that there are a lot of people  talking
about the FSP in blogs, essays, articles, and email
lists/newsgroups/forums, which is one reason that Google Sets'
ignorance of FSP related sets is perplexing.

> >>Finally, though Google plays its cards fairly close to the chest in
> >>this regard, I'm pretty confident that a "Google editor" is a
> >>non-existent thing.
> > Really? Then why do they have links for people to sign up to be
> google
> > editors?
>
> There are a couple of types of google editors I know about.
> AdWords editors: http://www.google.com/jobs/adops.html
> Answers editors: http://answers.google.com/answers/faq.html
> I'd like to see a link for a search results editor (Democratic voting
> history a plus!).

http://www.google.com/dirhp

This page recruits people to be editors for Google's Open Directory
Project, which I presume acts as at least one source of information for
Google Sets....

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development