[extropy-chat] Politics: US talks of suspending elections

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 00:18:29 UTC 2004

--- Samantha Atkins <samantha at objectent.com> wrote:
> Folks, pay good attention.   The freest, most
> advanced and most
> powerful country on earth is headed in more
> blatantly unfree directions
> almost by the day.    There is an extremely
> unextropic vector gaining
> in magnitude.

      You are absolutely right, Samantha. If the Bush
administration does this, then it will be the biggest
betrayal of America since Benedict Arnold. 200 years
of sacrifice by patriots would have come to naught and
I fear this would not be an isolated incident. To do
something like this would set a dangerous precedent.
It would be like the consul Marius marching his
legions into Rome that set the precedent for the rise
of the Caesars and the fall of the Roman republic into
the hands of a long line of despotic emperors. I would
rather see the deaths of 75% of all Americans, myself
included, than to allow our collective soul to be so
thoroughly corrupted and bastardized. Even suggesting
something like this will be interpreted by me as an
act of war by the Bush administration against the
American people, the U.S. constitution, and the
American way of life. Just after my 18th birthday I
swore an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of
the United States against all enemies foreign and
DOMESTIC when I was assigned to the now defunct 7th
infantry division. I can bear Bush insulting my
courage, intelligence, strength and honor by forcing
me to submit to unreasonable searches everytime I
board a plane under the pretense of protecting me
against bedouins with box cutters. After all it just
costs me an hour of my time and stings my pride
somewhat. But let him deny my country the right of
democratic self-determination and I promise civil war.
All I ever wanted out of life was to do biomedical
research to help people live longer, healthier, and
happier lives but the ghosts of Thomas Jefferson and
every other patriot who has ever sacrificed money,
time, or their life's blood on the altar of freedom
would not let me sleep at night if I allowed such an
overt perversion of everything America stands for to
occur. Tread on me at your peril, Mr. Bush.

=====
The Avantguardian

"He stands like some sort of pagan god or deposed tyrant. Staring out over the city he's sworn to . . .to stare out over and it's evident just by looking at him that he's got some pretty heavy things on his mind."