[extropy-chat] Politics: US talks of suspending elections

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 04:17:49 UTC 2004

--- Rik van Riel <riel at surriel.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>
> > Kerry is an empty suit who spends most of his time fighting his own
> > doppelganger.  He is an absolutely lousy candidate and won't
> attract
> > votes from much more than the party-bots.
>
> Not just the party-bots, though.  There are quite a few
> concerned parents around, who know that if they don't
> vote Bush out of office, their kids could be drafted
> into the army.
>
> Rumor has it the target date for the reinstated draft
> would be june or july next year.  IF Bush wins, that is.

Another bogus claim put out by Democrats. The DoD just announced today,
in fact, the "Blue to Green" program I predicted several months ago.
Since the only service with difficulty meeting recruitment goals is the
Army, with the other services RIFFing members out, the DoD is now
encouraging USAF, Navy, and Marines who want to re-up but aren't needed
to instead re-enlist with the Army, getting rank, pay, and bonus
incentives to do so. The number expected to transfer to green will more
than fill recruitment goals.

The draft is only being talked about by Democrats. The Draft bill in
congress is sponsored solely by a dozen liberal Democrats, as a weak
attempt to scare college and high school kids and their parents into
voting against the war. The anti-war movement is vastly depressed at
the total lack of interest on the part of most kids toward the war.

Democrats are trying to do a two pronged attack with this: scare up the
urban Dem voters who enlist at below average rates, and argue in
heartland states that the volunteer military is disproportionately
represented by rural kids who are dying at higher rates in Iraq than
city kids. It's pretty cynical of them, since it was the Dems who got
rid of the draft in the first place.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development