[extropy-chat] FWD [SK] Re: Politics: US talks of suspending

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 19 04:54:17 UTC 2004

--- "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1 at mindspring.com> wrote:

> > That would free you. The Neutrality Act of 1940 guarantees it, if
> you
> > rebel against the corporate state, you lose your 14th amendment US
> > citizenship and regain your full State Citizenship. For those
> > interested in researching it, try reading the post-Civil War
> > Expatriation Act, then the Neutrality Act. Acts of rebellion and/or
> > secession nullify your US citizenship.
> >
> > Mine is nullified. My little flag presentation to Killington in
> March
> > did the trick. I'm now a NH National.
>
> Have you stopped paying federal income taxes?

Commenting on that would be a fifth amendment issue...

> > > All I ever wanted out of life was to do biomedical
> > > research to help people live longer, healthier, and
> > > happier lives but the ghosts of Thomas Jefferson and
> > > every other patriot who has ever sacrificed money,
> > > time, or their life's blood on the altar of freedom
> > > would not let me sleep at night if I allowed such an
> > > overt perversion of everything America stands for to
> > > occur. Tread on me at your peril, Mr. Bush.
> >
> > Ah, well, engage in interstate commerce at your own peril. There
> > lies the power of US tyranny.
>
> Unfortunately, the definition of "commerce" in the commerce clause
> has
> been extended far beyond the original meaning, even including actions
> that are neither trade nor cross state lines.  (One recent reversal
> is
> Raich v. Ashcroft, in which the above-cited Randy Barnett was one of
> the attorneys for the plaintiff--at the moment, in the 9th Circuit,
> the
> cultivation of cannabis for personal medical use is legal, and the
> federal
> government is enjoined from prosecutions.   One of the plaintiff's
> arguments which was upheld by the 9th Circuit is that the feds have
> no
> power to regulate since there is no interstate commerce involved.)

There have been several other notable retrenchments. US v Lopez, for
starters, which killed the 'gun free school zones' law as a
non-commerce activity, as well as a case involving a County Waste
district filling a pond without US Army Corps of Engineers approval. In
that second case, the court ruled that Corps authority over "channels
of commerce" required that they be reachable from a waterway that
crossed state lines. Landlocked intrastate waterways are now exempt
from Corps authority.

Still further, in the 9th circuit, a fellow who built a machine gun in
his basement by himself was found to be outside ATF authority under NFA
of 1934 since he didn't engage in interstate commerce to do so.

There are other cases brewing too, so don't give up yet.

As for biomedical research, medicine is generally considered a state
issue anyways. The fed really only has authority over research that is
funded by federal dollars. For example, the Howard Hughes Medical
Institute, worth about $11 billion, has been funding its own stem cell
research as part of its annual $450 million budget, and creating its
own stem cell lines independent of government oversight (i.e. exempt
from Bush's cell line restrictions). So long as you keep your research
budget away from Uncle Sugar, you should be able to do okay.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)