[extropy-chat] 9/11 Commission Report

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jul 26 09:53:22 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 06:37:05PM -0500, Kevin Freels wrote:

> I just hope that they never realize that a low profile target would put more
> fear in the American population than any high profile target ever could, and
> that said target is most likely easier. Even right afterwar 9/11 mosot

If all you have a single nuke, what is your suggestion to keep it from detonating
somewhere high in Manhattan? Of course you know about the radiation detectors, check.

> Americans thought "gee, it was only a matetr of time before the WTC was
> attacked again". Most people still felt pretty safe in their own little
> low-profile surroundings.
>
> Imagine the fear that would be created if a really big college basketball
> game in middle America was the target. How safe would you feel then?

Imagine the impact on US and world economy and the symbolic value of a
leveled Manhattan skyline.

--> don't piss people off and/or don't put all your eggs in one basket

Remove the incentive to aggregate people in human termite hills.
Execs want to exercise control in office space, while being able to talk
informally (and off-record) with many of their peers.

This is the key vulnerability the society needs to address.