[extropy-chat] SIAI seeking seed AI programmer candidates

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jun 2 10:17:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 05:42:27AM -0400, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:

> This is SIAI's project, Eugen, not yours, don't embroider our job
> requirements.  I don't currently expect to require anything special in the

I'm not speaking about SIAI's project. I'm talking about the kind of talent
and background required to have a faint chance of succeeding, assuming a
well-funded large scale effort.

> way of hardware.  Lots and lots of cognitive science background is a good

I think your best ROI is using the Grid framework, and ask for time on a
cluster and/or look for volunteer contributors a la SIAI at home.

> idea.  The main math I already know will be required is Bayesian
> probability theory and expected utility decision theory, not knowing the
> equations, but feeling them in your bones and using them to see everything
> you work with.  I once read a fragment of an online physics course whose
> introduction noted that to understand that course you needed to do basic
> integrations and differentiations with your spine, not your brain.  What
> calculus is to physics, Bayes is to AI.

I don't think that's a requirement, but it's your project.

> I was not planning to brute-force the problem, nor to use architectures
> inspired by specific details of the human brain.  The massively
> interdisciplinary cognitive science background required is essentially the
> equivalent of being literate and having a GED, rather than being a
> primitive tribesperson from the Islets of Langerhans.

You will have trouble finding volunteers with the right background, who're
willing to work for free, or nearly for free. I don't have a good idea where
even to look, Orkut would be a good first place to start.