[extropy-chat] SIAI seeking seed AI programmer candidates

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Wed Jun 2 10:50:24 UTC 2004

Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 05:42:27AM -0400, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
>
>>This is SIAI's project, Eugen, not yours, don't embroider our job
>>requirements.  I don't currently expect to require anything special in the
>
> I'm not speaking about SIAI's project. I'm talking about the kind of talent
> and background required to have a faint chance of succeeding, assuming a
> well-funded large scale effort.
>
>>way of hardware.  Lots and lots of cognitive science background is a good
>
> I think your best ROI is using the Grid framework, and ask for time on a
> cluster and/or look for volunteer contributors a la SIAI at home.

No.  We are not here to wipe out the human species by brute-forcing an AI.
  If we cannot do it on off-the-shelf hardware, we should not be in the
business.  This is not about computing power, never has been.  I want a
small handful of world-class geniuses that can understand the basics, and
perhaps a few non-world-class geniuses to carry out prespecified tasks that
don't require Bayesian enlightenment.  I am not throwing people at the
problem and I am not throwing computing power at the problem.  I know
better than that now.  That is just what people talk about when they have
no idea what they are doing or how to solve the problem, and no, Eugen,
that is not a request for yet another lecture about how mys-TER-ri-ous the
problem is.  I am not here to screw around with no clue what I am doing.
That is just a fancy way of committing suicide, as I know, now that I
understand some of the rules.  Stop making up our job requirements for us.
  Start your own thread if you want to discuss your own AI project.  Thank you.