[extropy-chat] MOTION: Harvey off the Board

Reason reason at longevitymeme.org
Mon Jun 7 04:57:39 UTC 2004

The WTA is a small enough segment of transhumanism that it won't matter if
it implodes. None of the important  ideas will die with it. Imminst and ExI
are of equal size and capacity in terms of membership, "membership,"
eyeballs, ability to speak to the public. Some core transhumanist mailing
lists have two to four times the number of members as the WTA, although that
doesn't really translate to community. Betterhumans dwarfs the entirety of
the rest of the movement in those last two points and isn't beholden to the
WTA in any way, shape, or form. Transhumanist-minded people of influence
like Kurzweil, Minsky, Freitas, de Gray, et al, aren't affected by the
presence or absence of the WTA.

Equally, the WTA is large enough and has enough of a running start that it
would be nice if the people and resources could be found to rehabilitate it.
OTOH, if the members and remaining board are aware of and happy with the
current situation, the only ethical external pressures to be brought are the
normal ones of non-association. That's not really an issue in my case, since
the WTA as an organization doesn't have a lot to do with the areas I'm
interested in: not a great deal of tech-boosterism or pro-research activism
going on over there on an official basis.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason at longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org