[extropy-chat] `the imperfectability that makes us human'

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jun 7 18:56:31 UTC 2004

That great thinker William Safire informs us:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/07/opinion/07SAFI.html?th

<The genetics is out of the bottle. This research, whether the government
likes it or not, is growing apace. Unless we act now to direct it toward
morally acceptable ends ­ cure and treatment of disease and the extension
of active life, not monstrous manipulation and production of clones for
spare parts ­ we risk losing the imperfectability [sic] that makes us human. >

Yes, what a tragedy that would be! Safire could start now with a resolution
to stay well away from medicos and dentists. Yet somehow (call me crazy!) I
doubt that this is part of his high-toned plan for our imperfectibility.

Damien Broderick