[extropy-chat] Transhumanism presented in Washington (WFS, August 1, 2004)

Jose Cordeiro jose_cordeiro at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 21:17:53 UTC 2004

http://www.wfs.org/2004main.htm
http://www.wfs.org/2004con.htm

The Fourth Wave: The Transhuman Revolution

    The world is moving toward a fourth wave in which humans will become transhumans, and later posthumans, due to the advances of technology. Transhumanism represents a radical new approach to future-oriented thinking that is based on the premise that the human species does not represent the end of evolution but, rather, its beginning. Transhumanism is an interdisciplinary approach to understanding and evaluating the possibilities for overcoming biological limitations through scientific progress. Transhumanists seek to expand technological opportunities for people to live longer and healthier lives and to enhance their intellectual, physical, and emotional capacities.
    Transhumanists emphasize that not only can we use rational means to improve the human condition and the external world, we can also use them to improve ourselves. We are not limited only to methods (such as education) which humanism normally espouses. We can use technological means that will eventually enable us to move beyond what most would describe as human.

Who should attend: Anyone interested in finding out how the new wave of technological changes will radically transform humanity as we know it today.
What you’ll learn: Attendees will be exposed to the main ideas of transhumanism.
How this knowledge can be applied: This knowledge can help individuals understand how technology can affect the future of humans.

Jose L. Cordeiro, president, World Future Society Venezuela; co-founder, Venezuelan Transhumanist Association; director, Venezuelan chapter of the Club of Rome; director, Venezuelan node of the Millennium Project, Caracas, Venezuela

key words: transhumanism, future studies, science, evolution
issue areas: Consciousness and Spirituality, Technology and Science, Futures Methodologies and Processes

La vie est belle!

Yosé (www.cordeiro.org)

Caracas, Venezuela, Americas, TerraNostra