[extropy-chat] Tapping your expertise

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Mon Jun 7 23:44:09 UTC 2004

Heads up that I'm going to have another extropian gathering. I'm moving a
few miles from the old house in a couple of weeks, so the party will be as
soon as I'm modestly settled in.

If you're going to be in the Boston area this summer and would want to
attend, I may be able to work around your schedule. Further planning will
be on the exi-east list.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out what should go where. Structural
strength is an important consideration for my elephantine book collection.
In my current house, most are in one large room that's directly over slab.
In the new house, the best spot is a wooden floor. Were I to put all the
books in one room, they would add up to roughly ten tons.

I didn't question whether a concrete slab would hold the weight; I do worry
about wooden planks. Can someone give me advice or useful links off-list to
estimating the load-bearing strength of the floor and other relevant issues
(such as whether optimizing location or orientation of the heaviest
load-per-area is necessary or overkill)?

Ironically, my pertinent books have already been packed. But I figured that
between engineering talent and book addictions, someone amongst us has the
answers I'm looking for.

-- David Lubkin.