[extropy-chat] How are we going to do this?

Reason reason at longevitymeme.org
Thu Jun 10 02:48:39 UTC 2004

--> Michael Howell
>I've got a question, I've seen numerous scenarios about amazing
>possibilities the future holds for expanding human potential:
>Intelligence Amplification, Uploading, Immortality, etc... But
>how are we actually going to DO this. It seems to me that there
>are two main obstacles:
>
>1) Financial: The above technologies are going to be expensive.
>Unless you volunteer to be a lab rat, you're going to have to
>consider how to acquire the money.

I've written briefly on this topic:

http://www.fightaging.org/archives/000057.php

As medicine improves - and improves faster thanks to the efforts of
researchers, educators, businesspeople, advocates and other pro-research
folks - we will have access to ever more options for living longer, healthy
lives. Those options are unlikely to be free, however, especially in the
early years of availability. The cost of any given medical treatment drops
as marketplace competition sets in and the technology is improved, but most
medical expenses require planning.

That said, what sort of medical expenses should you plan on for a future
that involves real anti-aging medicine? If I knew the answer, I'd go into
business as a fortune teller (and make a killing on the stock market). I
think, however, that there are some useful guesstimates that we can make
based upon possible events down the road, the plausible future of
regenerative medicine, and the way in which medical pricing has behaved in
the past.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme