[extropy-chat] Hybrid cars not fuel economic in real world driving

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 19:38:42 UTC 2004

--- BillK <bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

<http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-06-11-hybrids-fuel-economy_x.htm>

> "Most of our cars get 10% to 15% less than the EPA (rating) in the
> real world," says Toyota spokesman Mike Michels. "A 10% to 15%
> variance looks a lot bigger on a 55-mpg (hybrid) car than on
> (a gas-power) one that gets 15 or 20."
>
> --------------
>
> Looks like the technology is still too new and needs a bit of work to
> optimize it.  Till then a normal small gas engine looks like a more
> efficient system.

The problem with hybrid cars isn't the technology, it's the user. If
you are a lead foot (or a heavy braker) with a old style car, your poor
fuel economy is not going to magically improve with a hybrid car if you
don't learn to drive more normally.

EPA rating on my mum's Accord is 35. She gets 30, dad gets 35 in the
same vehicle.

People need to get through their heads that they are as much a
contributor to their car's efficiency as their engine.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)