[extropy-chat] Hybrid cars not fuel economic in real world driving

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 22:03:40 UTC 2004

On Fri Jun 11 13:38:42 MDT 2004 Mike Lorrey wrote:
> The problem with hybrid cars isn't the technology, it's the user. If
> you are a lead foot (or a heavy braker) with a old style car, your
> poor fuel economy is not going to magically improve with a hybrid car
> if you don't learn to drive more normally.

This is very true. In Europe and UK they have annual competitive car
economy runs where the drivers achieve unbelievable mileage figures,
just by using careful driving techniques.

The current Guinness World Record came from last year's Europe run.
He covered a distance of 2,910 miles through 20 European countries in a
standard Lupo 3L TDI at an average consumption of 2.78 litres per 100 km
(101.6 mpg) at an average speed of 50 mph.
The Volkswagen Lupo 3L TDI uses a 1.2-litre TDI PD diesel engine,
combined with extensive use of lightweight components and automatic
operation of its clutch and five speed gearbox.
<http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/press/Lupo_3L_in_Guiness_World_Record>

On the other hand, I think there is more going on with the hybrid car
fuel economy than just saying 'All Hybrid car buyers don't know how to
drive in an economic fashion'.  I would expect hybrid car buyers to be
more knowledgeable than your average car driver. Hybrids are pretty
unusual, after all. You wouldn't buy one unless you had investigated
hybrids in some detail.

If so many hybrid owners have complained that the federal government has
been stirred into action, then that's significant. Considering the sales
numbers of hybrids are still pretty low, it probably means that almost
every hybrid owner is grumbling.

BillK