[extropy-chat] Re: Latin temperaments

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 09:26:44 UTC 2004

There is some element of truth in what Serafino says if we interpret
"believe in" as "being cempletely certain of".
Latins see more shades of grey in the world and have problems in
collapsing their worldview to black and white. This is a strength,
since it permits making better decision, and a weakness, since the
risk is making a decision too late or not making any decision at all.
In military conflicts, where the important thing is making reasonably
good decisions fast, the anglos have outclassed us since centuries.
But I think in a more and more complex world the cowboy attitude
"shoot, then think" will demonstrate its limitations and will have to
be replaced by a more sophisticated worldview. Computer systems to aid
decision making by computing the likely outcomes of a large number of
options will be an enabling technology for including more shades of
grey in one's worldview.