[extropy-chat] cryonics = poseidon adventure

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 13 19:45:31 UTC 2004

> >Central Florida?  Where in Central Florida?  Orlando?
> >
> Yeah.  Mousetown.

Harvey Newstrom is one of lads from central Florida.
I grew up in Titusville, about an hour to your right.
Both geographically and politically.  {8^D

Regarding your family outing you because of being a
cryonicist, do get over that.  You might be surprised
by having several of them come to the same conclusion
you did: a long shot is better than no shot at all.

Gregory, a movie came out shortly after you were born
called the Poseidon Adventure.  I saw it when I was 11.
It is one of my all-time faves, inspiring as all hell.
I haven't seen it since 1972, but as I recall the story
went like this:

- New Years Eve aboard huge ocean liner, parties bigtime

- Tsunami capsizes ship, many proles perish

- Survivors in ballroom debate what to do

- Fiery young priest urges they climb to bottom of ship

- Ernie Borgnine objects: Bottom of the ship?  What the hell
good will that do?  If you make it there alive, you still
have an inch thick steel plate over your head!

- Fiery young priest: Ja, well, thats one inch less than
two inches.

- Survivors realize they can sit tight and perish when
the ship eventually sinks, or they can take the long shot
and start climbing up to the bottom of the ship.

If you do not already know what happened after that,
get thee to the video store and view that movie.  Go on,
do it today, do it now.  Additional incentive: there is
even a naked lady involved.  Hey, it was the 70s.  Back
then, sex was safe and violence was dangerous.

Cryonics is like the Poseidon Adventure.  Start climbing.