[extropy-chat] the (scary) future of pro-death bioethics and legislation

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 07:28:22 UTC 2004

     Well spoken Reason. I would go even farther. The
political irony of it all is the moral hypocrisy
evident in the current neo-con cabal intrenched in the
leadership of the Republican party. Their jingoism and
ruthless partisanship make for a lot of bizarre
contradictions. It's wrong to end life by abortion but
but it ok to end it with bombs and bullets? It's ok to
execute criminals but not ok to use stem cells to
rejuvenate oneself? It's ok to lie boldfaced to the
country and violate international law but wrong to get
a blow job in the oval office? I could go on and on
but I won't. They are willing to destroy the oldest
continuous civilation on earth and try to rebuild it
as long as they get awarded the no bid contract to do
both. In short... they suck... it's like they are the
metaphysical servants of death and chaos. And yet...
they claim to be god-fearing xtians when in reality
they worship a god of fear. That Jesus fellow they
love to name drop only ever spoke of love.

http://www.betterhumans.com/Features/Columns/Transitory_Human/column.aspx?ar
> [...]
> can't do with your body, and what medical research
> is permitted.
> Unfortunately, this power is already being abused -
> as power always is - in
> many areas, including stem cell research and
> therapeutic cloning. It is a
> small leap from the present day functions of the FDA
> to a body that sets
> maximum life spans by enforcing restrictions on new
> anti-aging medical
> technologies.
>
> George Dvorsky has written an excellent article on
> this topic that is
> currently posted at Betterhumans. I quote a fair
> amount in this post, but
> there is a good deal more where that came from - so
> read the whole thing.

> I consider myself open to ideas and alternative
> perspectives, but as I
> consider the arguments of the bio-Luddites and look
> deeper into their
> meaning, I have come to realize that the
> death-promoting propaganda campaign
> is more than just a battle for hearts and minds. I
> get the impression
> that—should radical life extension technologies
> become readily
> available—these detractors, some of whom have the
> ear of the President,
> would go much further than fighting a war of words
> in their attempt to
> ensure that we never gain mastery over our
> mortality.

> At times the bio-Luddites sound parochial and
> authoritarian, and at their
> worst they sound downright ideological and even
> totalitarian.
>
> Indeed, as Kass has repeatedly stated, "the finitude
> of human life is a
> blessing for every individual, whether he knows it
> or not." And
> frighteningly, when asked by Brian Alexander, the
> author of Rapture: How
> Biotechnology Became the New Religion, if the
> government has a right to tell
> its citizens that they have to die, Fukuyama
> answered, "Yes, absolutely."

> And as for the bio-Luddite deathists, they're
> offering Americans the worst
> and most useless kind of ethics. It is an ethics
> without foundation in
> reality and devoid of pragmatic guidance and
> practical solutions. It simply
> doesn't do for the coming realities of 21st century
> life.

> I couldn't agree more, and it's a great shame that
> the field once known as
> medical ethics has degenerated into a coven of high
> profile bioethicists set
> on finding the best way to prevent new medicines
> from saving lives.
>
> Squashing the opposition to serious anti-aging
> medical research will require
> supporters of healthy life extension to start our
> side of the coming battle
> early. We can't afford to wait for entrenched
> pro-death bioethicists to gain
> even greater influence over our overbearing,

=====
The Avantguardian

"He stands like some sort of pagan god or deposed tyrant. Staring out over the city he's sworn to . . .to stare out over and it's evident just by looking at him that he's got some pretty heavy things on his mind."