[extropy-chat] the (scary) future of pro-death bioethicsandlegislation

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Mon Jun 14 08:51:10 UTC 2004

Spike:
>My notion is that we must not look to government to help us in any
>of our transhumanist goals.  Life extentionists are inherently at
>cross purposes with government in this.

I appreciate your perspective, and I know it's important for you. It
doesn't work for me, though. I'm on outside, dealing with the
fallout of the present US administration in my every day life, so my
perspective is alot different. I have to pay attention to how
governments influence me. Not only is no one is 'protecting' me, the
ground level from where I begin is as 'foreigner'

[meaning things already work against me or, on the other side, I
could say that I have a fresh perspective]

The big picture of my own transhumanist goals is to help build the
underlying foundation for people (of different cultures) to
appreciate and take joy in their lives, to know themselves well, and
explore the universe in which their lives are embedded. I can try to
ignore governments beyond their imposition of their immigration laws
on me, but I cannot ignore the influence of governments on the
attitudes of people around me (friends, acquaintances, coworkers).
If I can build a local environment of *people* that supports many of
things I like, then maybe it will spill over into larger and larger
arenas (= more people). Therefore, my focus in the transhumanist
realm is on local people.

Amara

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/