[extropy-chat] Soltices, Midsummer's Day and Ja'ni

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Jun 20 19:26:02 UTC 2004

On Sun Jun 20 12:55:04 MDT 2004 Alex Ramonsky wrote:
> Where did the idea come from that midsummer solstice was the start of
> summer? Is it? Have we official confirmation of this?
> In the UK it's very difficult to tell, because the weather is only
> slightly less nasty during june & july.

It is because of the time delay while the sun heats up the land and sea.

London average max temperatures:
Ja Fe Mr Ap My Jn Jl Ag Sp Oc Nv Dc
06 07 10 13 17 20 22 21 19 14 10 07

The other thing to bear in mind is that for such a small country the UK
weather is very variable. Scotland is surprisingly colder than London.

Oban average max temperatures:
Ja Fe Mr Ap My Jn Jl Ag Sp Oc Nv Dc
06 07 09 11 14 16 17 17 15 12 09 07

And it is even colder if you go a little further north into the Scottish
Highlands.

As the saying goes, if you have bad weather in England, just go 20 miles
down the road.

BillK