[extropy-chat] Three-quarters of N. American's support stem cell research

Chris Phoenix cphoenix at CRNano.org
Mon Jun 21 04:35:33 UTC 2004

Why is no one talking about the effects of U.S. policy on the supply of
researchers?

I'm a biology student, deciding what career to go into.  (Or a lab
director looking to expand into a new field.)  Should I go into one
that's stable, or one that the US might well ban right after I graduate
(create the program)?  That's a no-brainer...

Robert Bradbury wrote that the research side of R&D can't be accelerated
by throwing money at it.  But I ask: can research be slowed by
discouraging researchers from specializing in it?  And how much effect
will the reduction in researchers have on subsequent development?

Reason and j. andrew rogers are hammer-and-tongs about public vs.
private investment.  But money isn't the only thing that makes research
happen.

ObNanotech: Research careers in molecular manufacturing are also being
energetically discouraged in the U.S.

Chris

--
Chris Phoenix                                  cphoenix at CRNano.org
Director of Research