[extropy-chat] Three-quarters of N. American's support stem cell research

devon fowler dfowler282004 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 18:43:53 UTC 2004

--- Chris Phoenix <cphoenix at CRNano.org> wrote:

> Robert Bradbury wrote that the research side of R&D
> can't be accelerated
> by throwing money at it.  But I ask: can research be
> slowed by
> discouraging researchers from specializing in it?
> And how much effect
> will the reduction in researchers have on subsequent
> development?

 I'm assuming you've already answered these questions:
-yes research can and is being slowed down
-and there is and will be a substantial effect on
develpment.  Correct me if my guesstimates are
wrong...

> Reason and j. andrew rogers are hammer-and-tongs
> about public vs.
> private investment.  But money isn't the only thing
> that makes research
> happen.
>
> ObNanotech: Research careers in molecular
> manufacturing are also being
> energetically discouraged in the U.S.

Why is this happening?  I'd be curious to know is it
due to typical shock of the unknown?  Or just
government or private interests being nasty due to
power games or the like?