[extropy-chat] Futurist priorities was ex-tropical

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 1 13:11:27 UTC 2004

The Avantguardian said:
"I think I would have preferred a conspiracy, since this is kind of like
fighting your way to front of the bus only to find that the bus driver isn't
really driving, instead he is just "along for the ride" and the bus is out
of control. After all market forces don't have thought or conscience and are
incapable of setting goals and achieving them. Market forces place no value
on survival of species, human or otherwise. They can only, like a runaway
bus, continue forward until something stops them forcibly with catastrophic
results."

The beauty of markets is that they don't need goals or anyone trying to "do
the right thing". The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Merkets
are the most efficient means of establishing a goal. They decrease overall
costs and provide more benefit than any benevolent guiding counsel could
provide. Look at the economic planning committees of the old USSR and China
to see how planning fails where an open market succeeds.

Markets contribute to the survival of the species by providing lowest cost
resources. The goal of the market doesn't have to be "benefit humanity" for
the market to provide benefit.

BAL