[extropy-chat] Futurist priorities was ex-tropical

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 13:51:29 UTC 2004

--- Brian Lee <brian_a_lee at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The Avantguardian said:
> "I think I would have preferred a conspiracy, since this is kind of
> like fighting your way to front of the bus only to find that the bus
> driver isn't really driving, instead he is just "along for the ride"
> and the bus is out of control. After all market forces don't have
> thought or conscience and are incapable of setting goals and
> achieving them. Market forces place no value on survival of species,
> human or otherwise. They can only, like a runaway bus, continue
> forward until something stops them forcibly with catastrophic
> results."
>
> The beauty of markets is that they don't need goals or anyone trying
> to "do the right thing".

Better yet, everyone on the bus has a steering wheel, and the wheels
are steered by the input of all. This is how markets work. The driver
just monitors the inputs of each passenger so that the bus actually
stays on a road, instead of in a ditch, but there is a limit to what
the driver can do. If the majority of the passengers are convinced the
bus is going to crash, it will crash.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development