[extropy-chat] Futurist priorities was ex-tropical

Mon Mar 1 19:16:38 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey wrote,
> A finer analogy may say that some passengers only have a
> brake pedal, while some only have a gas pedal, some can only
> steer straight or left, others straight or right, while some
> have all controls in front of them. Everybody decides what
> controls each passenger has access to.

LOL!  I can see this in my mind, and it isn't pretty!  ;-)

There is a deafening screeching sound as the bus careens into view.  All
four of its wheels are turned outward in different directions.  The back
wheels are spinning at full acceleration, burning rubber into the asphalt
and churning up a cloud of carcinogenic rubber particles and smoke.  The
front wheels are locked solid by the brakes, and are being pushed forward
across the pavement without turning.  The back end of the bus swerves wildly
as it tries to proceed faster than the front end.  The front wheels
occasionally jerk left or right, trying to correct its steering, but it
doesn't help.  The bus knocks down signs, parking meters, and a few
pedestrians as it continues its frantically meandering path.  Showers of
sparks explode as it takes out street lamps with gut-wrenching regularity
along the way.  Electric cables become demon-possessed as they snap off and
start writhing in the churning smoke.  The bus finally slides sideways into
an embankment with a sickening crunch.  The sign proclaiming "Everybody
Drives!" is seen swinging back and forth on one corner from its single
remaining bolt....

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,