[extropy-chat] Futurist priorities was ex-tropical

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 19:56:48 UTC 2004

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> Mike Lorrey wrote,
> > A finer analogy may say that some passengers only have a
> > brake pedal, while some only have a gas pedal, some can only
> > steer straight or left, others straight or right, while some
> > have all controls in front of them. Everybody decides what
> > controls each passenger has access to.
>
> LOL!  I can see this in my mind, and it isn't pretty!  ;-)
>
> There is a deafening screeching sound as the bus careens into view.
> All
> four of its wheels are turned outward in different directions.  The
> back
> wheels are spinning at full acceleration, burning rubber into the
> asphalt
> and churning up a cloud of carcinogenic rubber particles and smoke.
> The
> front wheels are locked solid by the brakes, and are being pushed
> forward
> across the pavement without turning.  The back end of the bus swerves
> wildly
> as it tries to proceed faster than the front end.  The front wheels
> occasionally jerk left or right, trying to correct its steering, but
> it
> doesn't help.  The bus knocks down signs, parking meters, and a few
> pedestrians as it continues its frantically meandering path.  Showers
> of
> sparks explode as it takes out street lamps with gut-wrenching
> regularity
> along the way.  Electric cables become demon-possessed as they snap
> off and
> start writhing in the churning smoke.  The bus finally slides
> sideways into
> an embankment with a sickening crunch.  The sign proclaiming
> "Everybody
> Drives!" is seen swinging back and forth on one corner from its
> single
> remaining bolt....

Don't forget voting bad passengers off the bus.

The funny thing is that this is the best way to get economically from
point A to points b-z. It all comes down to how much you trust people
to negotiate in their own long term rational self interest.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                       - Gen. John Stark