[extropy-chat] Earthlink ?

Tue Mar 2 18:26:46 UTC 2004

Dan Clemmensen wrote,
> In general de-coupling of access and presence fosters competition. If
> you know that you e-mail address will not be affected, if is much
> easier to cancel your access account and move to a different provider.
>
> I did not figure this out soon enough, so when I moved ISPs,
> I stupidly moved to a new e-mail address with my new provider.
> My next move will move my presence to a domain that I control,
> regardless of my access.

You can do this with your website and domain name too.  This is how I have
my website and e-mail at <HarveyNewstrom.com>:

1.  Register your domain name yourself (mine is at NameSecure.com) instead
of letting your ISP register and own your domain name.  That way you own it
instead of them.

2.  Then you can point your domain name to any website and e-mail server you
want.  It takes a day or so to propagate the update to all the nameservers
on the internet.

3.  The Internet will see you at your website url or your e-mail all the
time.  It doesn't matter what local ISP you use, or what your local URL or
e-mail looks like.  Your domain name will forward to your local web and
e-mail.  You can switch the pointers yourself (with NameSecure at least) and
do not need the ISPs to cooperate.  As long as your web or e-mail works,
your domain forwarding can redirect everybody to it.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,