[extropy-chat] FSP: Killington Votes to Secede

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 4 17:56:29 UTC 2004

This may be the case for states to secede from the union. This is not
the issue at hand. The issue is whether one town can secede from its
state as a result of the injustice of the state government, and rejoin
a state it had once belonged to. In the case of Killington, it joined
Vermont under the original VT Constitution, which stated in its
preamble that all VT towns belonged to NH by right and had been
unjustly taken by New York by an act of King George.

The NH Constitution recognises the legal right of both revolt and
secession, a necessary precursor to Vermont's act in seceding from it,
and being recognised as a natural right here in NH, it did not become
alienated from the towns and people of Vermont, whether or not they
continue to recognise them. The very act of Vermonts towns seceding to
form their own republic in 1777 is the precedent at stake here. For if
secession is not a right, then Vermont's secession was illegitimate,
and rightly belongs to NH anyways. If Vermont's secession is
legitimate, then secession is a right, and Killington can rejoin NH if
it so chooses.

Both sides of the argument can be used to support Killington's
assertion.

That being said, Killington is NOT acting as though it has the right to
secede. It is petitioning the legislature of Vermont, the legislature
of NH (I have house reps who've already agreed to sponsor their
petition) and the US Congress. This is not a new process, it is one we
in the Upper Valley have pioneered on two previous occasions. This area
is home to the only two interstate school districts in the world, which
required a degree of secession by towns on both sides in order to
effect, as well as the approvals of the legislatures of both states as
well as congress.

--- Karen Rand Smigrodzki <Karen at Smigrodzki.org> wrote:

> The USSCT has held that there is no right to secession for states.
> See posts
> on this list by me on the topic of secession from about a year ago.
> In those
> I include the reference to the case, and to a leading legal scholar
> who
> wrote on the topic (Cass Sunstein).
>
> Karen
>

> "Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies."
> - Voltaire (1694-1778) on his deathbed in response to a priest asking
> that
> he renounce Satan.

=====
Mike Lorrey