[extropy-chat] POL: A tough election year

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 9 04:34:50 UTC 2004

From: "Kevin Freels" <kevinfreels at hotmail.com>
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 5:54 AM
Subject: [extropy-chat] POL: A tough election year

> Gee. It's going to be another tough election year.
>
> On one side, an anti-gay christian that doesn't like stem-cell research,
> cloning, and/or much else to do with technology unless it is a weapon.

I wonder to what extent Leon Kass owes his profile to the current
President and to his position on the Presidents Council of Bioethics?

I don't recall hearing of Kass prior to his appointment to the Council but
perhaps from Australia prior to 2001 I just wasn't listening.

If Bush goes, to what extent does Kass go too?

Are Kass and the precautionary principle symptoms of a deeper
discomfort with rates-of-change in the US population (and perhaps
other western populations) or are they mainly secondary to and
piggy-backing off a very conservative President?

- Brett Paatsch