[extropy-chat] Cryogenics Economics- Estate Tax deferral?

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Wed Mar 10 16:05:08 UTC 2004

I wrote:

 > I'd suggest dividing one's assets between a domestic perpetual trust and
 > ones located in economically and politically stable countries without a
 > Rule against Perpetuities. (Besides Liechtenstein, other jurisdictions
 > apparently include Turks and Caicos, Cook Islands, Panama, and Nauru. Of
 > these, Liechtenstein seems by far the safest.)

and Eugen replied:

>Long-term planning was always high-risk, but given the potential for
>disruption the next half century to century will bring it appears to be
>quite useless to
>plan centuries ahead.
>
>Given the technology threshold required to resurrect cryonics patients, they
>will find themselves in a place where their assets would be devoid of value
>(and/or lost in the turmoil), and their only peers their resurrected
>contemporaries.
>
>This isn't problematic per se (I'm quite cool with that), but not many
>cryonicists seem to expect a future like this.

I do, and nearly every cryonicist I've discussed the question with does as
well, although a few admittedly still envision something from 1930's sf.

Asset preparations have much the same value proposition as being frozen --
no guarantees, likely failure, but still your best option under the
circumstances.

I recall a thread once -- can't remember if it was here or Cryonet -- where
we mulled over which assets would be worthwhile caching for use
post-reanimation, and how to ensure they survive until then.

We cannot be certain what would be valued. The obvious choices are data and
rare artifacts that would likely be unique in that future. I'd guess the
data should be on microfilm or non-acidic paper, until we have a
longer-duration archival medium.

Another thought is an assortment of elements that are rare in the solar
system. One might prefer elements that have currently known useful
properties. But elements that are today considered useless may well have
uses tomorrow.

Perhaps construct multiple trusts with an incentive to reanimate you,
dispersed geographically and jurisdictionally, with assets split between
physical and financial, along with caches only you know of, in obscure,
geologically stable locations.

-- David Lubkin.