[extropy-chat] "Cults such as the extropians see technology asunstoppable escalator to future prosperity, but ...."

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Thu Mar 18 18:37:03 UTC 2004

torsdagen den 11 mars 2004 00.21 wrote Technotranscendence:
> On Wednesday, March 10, 2004 5:39 PM randy cryofan at mylinuxisp.com wrote:
> [actually, not Randy, but a quote from theregister.com]
>
> > Cults such as the extropians see
> > technology as the unstoppable
> > escalator to future prosperity, but
> > the rest of us are discovering that
> > their utopian faith has caused
> > graver problems than anyone
> > expected.

Just to weigh in, doesn't claims that the transhumanist/extropian ultra-rich
conspiracy is behind globalization undermine the author quite nicely? No
matter what people think about us, but that kind of reasoning makes the
article sound just like a paranoid rant. Had it been a traditional and
acceptable conspiracy like "the multinationals" it would have been far more
convincing to people.

> Also, I don't remember having to give all my worldly goods to Max, cut
> off all contacts with my family and friends, and live in the Extropy
> Commune spending my days making simple craft goods while quoting from
> the Principles as a sort of prayer.  Maybe I missed out on that part of
> the movement.:)

I have at least done the extropian handshake with him. But the key question is
whether you have the animatronic goat idol?

--
Anders Sandberg
http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa

The sum of human knowledge sounds nice. But I want more.