[extropy-chat] The end of crime as we used to know it?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Mar 19 19:43:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 07:26:25PM +0000, BillK wrote:

> So the idea of the open society is breaking through to your average
> man-in-the-street newsreader. That's quick. I expected it to take years
> for it to become common knowledge.

Open society? Where? Have you been reading too much Brin again?

Have you ever tried recording anything in a shop? Try it. Let the owner know
you're doing it. Read Steve Mann's account of shooting back.

Have you ever tried recording a LEO while on duty? Try it. Make sure you have
good health and lawyer insurance. Bring overnight kit for the cell.
A politician? Try it. Bring overnight kit for the cell.

Have you ever tried preventing a LEO from filming you? Try it. See above.

So how's it helping if the evidence is admissible/not
admissible/admissible/not admissible (it all depends on who's doing whom)?

How do you stream your stuff if the connection is jammed? Make these things
cheap, because they will be confiscated. A lot. It's all a photoshop job,
anyway, nyahnyah.

Central control beats decentral control. Those in power will use the
technology against you, and will not allow the technology to be used against
them. They're much better at this game than the disorganized, apathetic
public.

Sorry if this came out of nowhere, I've been reading today's news again, and
these are not good. Not good at all, and channelling Brin's not helping.