[extropy-chat] The end of crime as we used to know it?

Erik Starck es at popido.com
Fri Mar 19 21:25:37 UTC 2004

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>Open society? Where? Have you been reading too much Brin again?
>
>Have you ever tried recording anything in a shop? Try it. Let the owner know
>you're doing it. Read Steve Mann's account of shooting back.
>
>Have you ever tried recording a LEO while on duty? Try it. Make sure you have
>good health and lawyer insurance. Bring overnight kit for the cell.
>A politician? Try it. Bring overnight kit for the cell.
>
>Have you ever tried preventing a LEO from filming you? Try it. See above.
>
>So how's it helping if the evidence is admissible/not
>admissible/admissible/not admissible (it all depends on who's doing whom)?
>
>How do you stream your stuff if the connection is jammed? Make these things
>cheap, because they will be confiscated. A lot. It's all a photoshop job,
>anyway, nyahnyah.
>
>Central control beats decentral control. Those in power will use the
>technology against you, and will not allow the technology to be used against
>them. They're much better at this game than the disorganized, apathetic
>public.
>
>Sorry if this came out of nowhere, I've been reading today's news again, and
>these are not good. Not good at all, and channelling Brin's not helping.

I think you're being a bit too pessimistic. One person with a camera
phone doesn't make a revolution, but add the smart mobs of Rheingold,
mobile blogging tools soon to hit the market big time
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3497596.stm) and mobile video on
the way and you've got something that very well may put a lethal crack
in some of the current power structures. The shopowner and the
politician can't put the guards on every customer or voter they've got.

Of course, at this stage they respond with force as they feel
threatened. The watchmen aren't used to being watched. But something is
happening. Something big.

Also see:

http://www.stateofthenewsmedia.org/narrative_overview_eight.asp?media=1
"The only sectors seeing general audience growth today are online, ethnic and alternative media."

and
"In many parts of the news media, we are increasingly getting the raw
elements of news as the end product."

--
Erik S