[extropy-chat] The end of crime as we used to know it?

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Mar 19 22:43:24 UTC 2004

On Fri Mar 19 12:43:48 MST 2004 Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Central control beats decentral control. Those in power will use the
> technology against you, and will not allow the technology to be used
> against them. They're much better at this game than the disorganized,
> apathetic public.

Who're you calling apathetic? Uh, sorry, that's me, that is. (Shrugs) ;)

I agree with Erik that you are assuming the worst scenario here.
You don't see cops going around in a haze of electronic jamming and I
don't think you are likely to either. You forget just how essential
cell-phones have become. Even concert halls can't get permission to use
jamming devices to stop yobs chatting through Beethoven's Fifth.

Video cameras are now plentiful and cops have been caught by them and
punished for misbehavior (in UK, anyway). Digital cameras are also very
widespread. But everyone and their dog has a cell-phone and they are all
now upgrading to 3G picture cell-phones. Sure, if it was just you, your
phone could be impounded. But not if there was a crowd. Even a small
group of friends would have time for at least one of them to have
transmitted the pictures before the cops got round to everybody.

In Japan shopkeepers are already complaining about customers taking
pictures of stuff and sending it to their friends - but they can't stop
them - that's why they are kicking up a fuss.

Go to any exhibition, people are photographing every stand and the
equipment on display. (Or is it the models they are photographing?)

The general public is now realizing the power of these cameras. As Erik
said, something big is happening.

The next step will be always-on mobile net connections, with a camera on
your lapel, streaming at the click of a switch.

At present people are still being caught out by surreptitious filming
and sound recording, but not for long. By next year everyone will be
assuming that anything said or done in public will be recorded and will
be behaving accordingly.

Next time you are out on a date, remember that she has already done a
Google search to find out about you, and is now recording all your
chatup lines to discuss with her best friend tomorrow.

Scary, Huh?

BillK