[extropy-chat] The end of crime as we used to know it?

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 20 05:34:04 UTC 2004

> At present people are still being caught out by surreptitious filming
> and sound recording, but not for long. By next year everyone will be
> assuming that anything said or done in public will be
> recorded and will be behaving accordingly.
>
> BillK

Has it changed our behavior knowing that we are perhaps
being watched whenever we are in a hotel room?  Those
universal cheapy hotel clocks can have a transmitting
camera placed in them in such a way that one cannot find
the device without disassembling the clock.  Any previous
guest could have swapped in a transmitter cam and might
be watching you.  The clock cams are less than 100 bucks
now.  If you drop a towel over the clock, can you be
sure there aren't other cameras somewhere in the room?
The snoop takes practically no risk of getting caught.
He could be sitting out in the parking lot recording
everything, perhaps several rooms at once.  If I had
ever been guilty of impropriety on a business trip I
would be a worried man right now.