[extropy-chat] Paul Allen Funds Next Stage of SETI Project

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 gpmap at runbox.com
Sun Mar 21 10:42:41 UTC 2004

>From Universe Today: Billionaire Paul Allen has committed $13.5 million to
support the construction of the first and second phases of the Allen
Telescope Array. Construction of the array is now underway at the Hat Creek
Observatory, 466 km northeast of San Francisco; the first phase will include
the development of 32 6.1-metre radio telescopes. The second phase will see
an additional 174 built. Eventually there will be a total of 350 identical
dishes built. Once the first 32 dishes are completed, the array can begin
scientific operations.
The ATA will be a general-purpose radio telescope that will provide
fundamentally new measurements and insights into the density of the very
early universe, the formation of stars, the magnetic fields in the
interstellar medium, and a host of other applications of deep interest to
astronomers. At the same time, this 21 st Century radio telescope will also
have the capability to search for possible signals from technologically
advanced civilizations elsewhere in the galaxy. "I am very excited to be
supporting one of the world's most visionary efforts to seek basic answers
to some of the fundamental question about our universe and what other
civilizations may exist elsewhere," said Paul G. Allen, primary funder of
the ATA. "I am a big proponent of leveraging revolutionary technology and
design and applying it to important problems in science."

---