[extropy-chat] Transhumanism: Social Equality and Politics

natashavita at earthlink.net natashavita at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 26 17:55:34 UTC 2004

Question:

For years, I have considered Transhumanism to favor all of society and to
work toward improving the human condition equally for who so desire it.  By
this I mean that each human being is given the freedom to choose a
transhumanist life.  This choice includes all the elements of the
innovative ideas and intellection of transhumanism, as Max More defined the
term and fathered the movement.

Also FM-2030, who wrote the original philosophy of the "transhuman"
(different than transhumanism), was a humanist who became a transhumanist.
His ideology was neatly written in his book, _Are You A Transhuman?_ which
o outlined his philosophy about personal growth in becoming a transhuman.
Herein, he was adamant about human rights and wrote about talked about
human rights since his early years as a diplomat.

In my estimation, and what I believe in my own philosophical views about
transhumanism, and as I wrote and lectured on the topic from the 1980s
forward, transhumanism is more of an intellectual enlightenment that
proposes to work toward improving the human condition for all who want to
improve themselves and to implement the sciences and technologies that will
assist us in this quest while extending our lives.

Transhumanists have been told there were “elitists” (not in the culturally
positive sense as being culturally polished, but in the negative sense as
being intellectual/technological superior than the average person.)  This
is something that we did not ask for or attempt to represent, but was
donned on us because of our ideas being ahead of their time and speaking in
a language that was not understood by the mainstream.

What do you think about pushing transhumanism into political camps?
Because politics is based not so much on human values and transhumanist
goals, but on competing interest groups or individuals for vie for power
and leadership.  Is this politics over philosophy/social understanding, the
former being displayed with underhand tactics, and the latter being
influenced by reasonable efforts?

So, you tell me – those of you who are not pushing any one political
agenda, what do you think?  Do we need to segregate transhumanism into
political camps that are subsets of political party lines?  Or do we need
to let the camps be driving forces aspects of transhumanism forward?

Remember, Extropy Institute does not sponsor or claim any one political
affiliation or belief, as its core is based in “transhumanism,” not
politics.  Our members share varied political views and I believe that we
can solve world problems by employ the most workable solution to the
problem, regardless of which specific positive political course.