[extropy-chat] Mito news

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal at smigrodzki.org
Thu May 6 20:49:14 UTC 2004

I have some news for afficionados of mitochondria:

Recently at the Mitochondria and Neurodegeneration Meeting in Fort
Lauderdale our research group at Gencia Corporation unveiled a method
for manipulating mitochondrial genomes, protofection. I have been
obliquely hinting at it for some time on Extropy but now I can say more:
we can place mitochondrial genomes in living cells, in vitro and in
vivo, including reporter genes and other genetic cargo, express proteins
in the mitochondria, and even export them to other subcellular
locations. We can actually stably make a huge amount of protein without
ever entering the nucleus, or using a viral and immunogenic vector, or a
synthetic and cytotoxic cationic lipid. This capability will be most
salient to anybody familiar with the keywords "X-SCID", and "insertional
mutagenesis". The research has been submitted for publication and I hope
to be able to post the paper here as soon as it's published.

Additionally, we found that some possibilities for mitochondrial
dysfunction treatment envisioned previously on theoretical grounds, can
actually be made to work, at least in cell culture, and should work in
adult mammals as well. But I will leave you guessing....

Suffice it to say that some of our wildest hopes seem to be coming true.

Rafal