[extropy-chat] Mito news

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu May 6 20:20:45 UTC 2004

--- Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal at smigrodzki.org> wrote:
> we can place mitochondrial genomes in living cells,
> in vitro and in
> vivo, including reporter genes and other genetic
> cargo,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but would it be
correct to understand that this fills in the last
third of ability to control a cell?  That is, what
goes on in a cell is ultimately directed by the
proteins and chemicals in its environment, the DNA in
its nucleus, and the DNA in its mitochondria; of
which, the first is relatively easy to control, the
second can be done using viruses and other gene
therapy, and your advance means we can do the third.

> express proteins
> in the mitochondria, and even export them to other
> subcellular
> locations. We can actually stably make a huge amount
> of protein without
> ever entering the nucleus, or using a viral and
> immunogenic vector, or a
> synthetic and cytotoxic cationic lipid.

What's it cost compared to other methods?  Could this,
say, be used as a cheaper way to synthesize insulin?