[extropy-chat] Re: Suda et al papers (was Cryonics withoutcomprehensive brain disassembly?-No)

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sat May 8 08:11:20 UTC 2004

Hal Finney wrote:

> Something else bothered me about Ralph Merkle's paper,
> http://www.merkle.com/cryo/techFeas.html.
>
> Robert Bradbury had mentioned it as a citation for "cryonics without
> comprehensive brain disassembly".  In fact, however, the paper mostly
> discusses what Merkle calls "off-board" repair, meaning repair where
> the brain is disassembled and then reassembled, as distinguished from
> "on-board" repair, which is repairing the brain in place.
>
> Merkle writes, "The on-board repair scenario has been considered in
> some detail by Drexler[18]. We will give a brief outline of the on-board
> repair scenario here, but will not consider it in any depth."  Okay,
> so what we really need as a citation for brain repair without disassembly
> is reference 18.  Let's look it up.
>
> "18. Eric Drexler, private communication."
>
> That's right.  The reference for on-board repair, which has been
> "considered in some detail", is an unpublished private communication.
> This makes it useless from the point of view of a reader wanting to get
> a better handle on the topic of Ralph's paper, "The Molecular Repair of
> the Brain."
>
> Now, Ralph's paper was from way back in 1994.  Has Drexler published
> anything subsequently to describe this detailed plan for on-board repair
> that Merkle references?

Indeed.

If the "universe" was to provide me with Ralph Merkle and Eric Drexlers
email addresses at this point I'd be inclined to send an email headed
"An Open Email to Mr Merkle and Mr Drexler" to Ralph Merkle, Eric Drexler
and to the Exi list, all at once, so that all received it at once and all
knew that
all had received it.

In that email I would make reference to our recent discussions on this list
and
to the point that both I and Hal have separately noticed; that Mr Merkle had
cited a private communication with Mr Drexler as his reference for on-board
repair, back in 1994. I would request that they please provide a comment
to this list as it would be much appreciated by the truthseekers on this
list.

If.

Regards,
Brett Paatsch.